In order for children to experience enhanced learning it is important for infant, toddler, and preschool staff members to have an understanding of attachment theory. The goal of the COS-C approach is to make the theory of attachment accessible to early educators.
The ten-hour curriculum designed for parents works equally well for teaching child care providers about attachment offering an understanding of the:
• Reciprocal relationship between attachment and exploratory systems;
• Secure, insecure and disorganized attachment;
• The need to move from behavioral approaches to seeing problem behaviors as communication regarding attachment needs;
• How to respond sensitively to children’s cues that indicate their attachment needs and understand miscues as insecure strategies that children use to hide their needs;
• Ways for adults to manage their own defensiveness around certain attachment needs.
Another component of COS-C is to help teachers assess their relationships with specific children and develop a plan to enhance the security of the relationship when needed (Zero to Three, 2017).